Loyola Beginnings 1898-1915


Loyola Beginnings 1898-1915


In 1898 Loyola College took over the “Tucker School” at 68 Drummond Street. A new wing was constructed during the summer to house more classrooms and a residence for the Jesuits.
The Drummond Street location provided much needed recreational facilities. Students had the available use of nearby rinks, tennis courts, and a lacrosse ground at the old Montreal Lacrosse Grounds. The Victoria Skating Rink was rented for skating and hockey games for the boarders during the winter months. It was during those years on Drummond Street that Loyola’s many inter and extra mural hockey, lacrosse and football teams began to take shape.
By 1899 once again it became clear that the college’s facilities on Drummond Street were insufficient. Loyola began looking for another permanent home.
Source: Gavin, Joseph B., S.J. From “Le petit collège de bois” to 7272 Sherbrooke St. West A Brief History of Loyola High School, Montreal, Montreal: Loyola High School, 2012 p.16-17

Collection Items

68 Drummond St., 1898-1915
Due to increasing enrollment, in 1898 Loyola moves from 2084 St. Catherine Street to 68 Drummond Street in the former Tucker School, where they will remain until 1915.

68 Drummond St. Chapel 1898-1915
The Loyola College Chapel on Drummond Street.

boarders' return card 1898
Letter to parents, Dec. 30, 1898 regarding information concerning the boarders' return to the College after the Christmas break. Students are to return on the evening of Saturday, January the seventh, 1899.

Class Drummond St. 1901-02
“Latin Rudiments” class at Loyola College on Drummond Street

Drummond St., Juniors, 1907
A group of “Junior” students at Loyola College on Drummond Street
View all 5 items