1913 Architects Plan 7141 Sherbrooke St. West

Title

1913 Architects Plan 7141 Sherbrooke St. West

Description

In 1913 Loyola hired the architects Peden, McLaren and Walter Murray, Associate, to draw up plans for the farm land at the west end of Sherbrooke Street, purchased in January, 1900 by Gregory O’Bryan S.J. and John C. Coffee S.J. In 1916 the College moved to 7141 Sherbrooke St. W. The plans were ambitious and while many of the buildings were completed, plans for buildings at the west corner of Sherbrooke and along West Broadway were never completed in the Collegiate Gothic style suggested by the architectural plans.
From 1913 to 1916 construction was completed on the Junior Building, the Refectory Building and the first story of the Administration Building of Loyola College. The Administration Building was raised to three stories in 1921 and the tower was completed in 1927. In 1924 the Loyola “Old Boys” Stadium was completed. In 1933 the St. Ignatius College Chapel was completed and in 1934 the W.C. Smith Auditorium, located under the chapel was completed. In 1947 the completion of the Central Building marked the end of the Collegiate Gothic style of architecture at Loyola.

Collection Items

1913 Architects Plan of Loyola College, 1
Close up of the architectural plans drawn up by architects, Peden, McLaren and Walter Murray, Associate for the land at 7141 Sherbrooke St. W. future home of Loyola College.

1913 Architects Plan of Loyola College, 2
In 1913 Loyola hired the architects Peden, McLaren and Walter Murray, Associate, to draw up plans for the farm land at the west end of Sherbrooke Street, purchased in January, 1900 by Gregory O’Bryan S.J. and John C. Coffee S.J.

1913 Architects Block Plan
Plan showing the construction of the Administration Building, the Refectory Building and the Junior Building of Loyola College, 7141 Sherbrooke St. W.
View all 3 items