Exterior Architectural Detail of Junior Building, Loyola College

Title

Exterior Architectural Detail of Junior Building, Loyola College

Description

In 1913 Loyola authorized architects Peden and McLaren and associate Walter J. Murray to draw up plans for a new college building. “The new buildings were conceived on the lines of a free adaptation of the Tudor and Early Renaissance type of English Collegiate Gothic. The walls were to be of brick, faced with matt surface Greendale bricks, trimmed with Indiana limestone or terra-cotta and set upon a base of Montreal limestone.” (Slattery 136)
Construction of the Refectory and Junior Buildings began on September 23, 1913 and within three months all the concrete work on the foundations was completed. The superstructure was not started until June, 1914, but when war broke out in August, all plans were disrupted.
In the summer of 1916 the Junior Building was completed. It is the only building where gargoyles surrounded the parapet, tracery and heraldic shields. Loyola High school students would occupy this building until 1992.

Source

Loyola High School Archives

Items in the Exterior Architectural Detail of Junior Building, Loyola College Collection

Junior Building, north façade
Junior Building, north façade, chimneys and carved stonework on window

Junior Building, Loyola College
Exterior Junior Building, Loyola College

Junior Building, east facing façade
Junior Building, east facing façade: Main entrance to Junior Building and stone carving of Loyola Coat of Arms above doors

Junior Building, side entrance
Junior Building, side entrance: niche above side entrance and carving of AMDG (ad maiorem Dei gloriam) under niche

Junior Building, south facing façade
Junior Building, south facing façade: Senior dorm windows and statue of Blessed Mother and Infant Jesus

Junior Building, carving on north facing windows
Junior Building, north facing façade: stone carving on Parlor, and later Faculty Lounge windows

Junior Building, north facing façade
Junior Building, north facing façade: detail of gargoyle above oval window and stone carving above windows at roof

Junior Building, windows facing south from chapel
Junior Building, windows facing south from second floor chapel, detail of carved stone medallion (the A M would likely mean Ave Maria since it was near Our Lady’s Chapel)

Junior Building Gargoyles
Stone gargoyles on tracery surrounding Junior Building

Junior Building, west facing façade breezeway
Junior Building, west facing façade breezeway: Heraldic Shield surrounded by lions above French doors and carved stone urn above breezeway to left of French doors