William Hales Hingston, S.J.

Title

William Hales Hingston, S.J.

Subject

Jesuits at Loyola

Description

William H. Hingston, S.J., Rector July 1, 1918 - July 31,1925
William H. Hingston, S.J., tackled Loyola’s biggest problem: its annual debt. He began to re-organize Loyola’s finances by organizing a fund-raising drive. By the time he left the Rector’s office in 1925 he had raised enough money for Loyola to pay off debts and strengthen the general finances of the institution but also to add two storeys in 1921 to the Administration Building and by 1927 attach an impressive central tower to it. The Loyola Stadium, under construction since 1922 was formally opened on January 19, 1924.

Source for text field: Gavin, Joseph B. From “Le petit collège de bois” to 7272 Sherbrooke West. Montreal: Loyola High School, 2012

left image:
Inscription hand-written in pen and ink verso: Fr. William H. Hingston, S.J.
No date
Photograph – b & w print, copy print
Photographer unknown

right image:
Circa 1912
Photograph – b & w print
Photographer unknown

Source for photo file field: The Archive of the Jesuits in Canada




Creator

Photographer unknown

Source

The Archive of the Jesuits in Canada

Date

left no date, right 1912

Rights

(left photo) Copyright status unknown
(right photo) Copyright expired (Canada)

Files

008_William Hales Hingston.jpg

Collection

Citation

Photographer unknown, “William Hales Hingston, S.J.,” Loyola Archives, accessed May 26, 2018, http://lhsarchives.omeka.net/items/show/218.

Output Formats